Monday 28 March 2016

Longing for 9-5

I finish university in little over two months (I'm sorry, WHAT?!) and I currently have no real idea what I want to do. Something with writing I hope and ideally something creative, but what exactly I don't know. What I do know is that recently I've been longing after a 9-5.



Now, I've never had 9-5 job apart from a couple of work placements, so I'm probably talking out of my ass and anyone that lives this life will likely tell me I'm MAD, but right now I keep finding myself daydreaming about driving to the hypothetical office in the morning, coming home again in the evening and having the rest of the night to myself. Even more, having the weekends to myself. Hell, I've worked a part time job long enough to deserve my weekends and finally get that #fridayfeeling that I keep hearing about.

I've been reading  recently about breaking out of the 9-5 lifestyle and I think it's great that so many young, creative people can now work under their terms through blogging, vlogging, freelancing etc. etc., but right now I don't think it's for me. I've been trying to treat my uni work like a 9-5 (especially with my dreaded dissertation ~gulp~) but the trouble I find is that there's no way of knowing when to stop. I can quite easily be on campus all day in lectures/classes/library/tutorials only to come home and work all evening. I often feel like I can't stop until the work is done and of course the work is never done. There's no clock on the wall to tell me when to stop.

In a way I like that I'm always on the go, exercising my mind and finding outlets for my creativity but at the moment 9-5 seems so appealing. True, the prospect is probably more glamorous than the reality and I know it's almost certainly like when you long for the summer holidays only to find you're fed up after two weeks, but we will see. For now, sign me up for a capsule wardrobe- who knew I was so conventional?

No comments:

Post a Comment