Tuesday 18 August 2015

Knitting Tiny Clanger

Is it possible to be nostalgic for a time you never knew? I think it must be, because I'm a child of the 1990s but I have a very real longing and affection for the 1960s and 70s. The music, the fashion, the culture- I just want to be there and eat it all up! It's not all the cool, stylish stuff though I'm into, though- I also have a soft-spot for early 1970s children's television.




I came across Clangers on Youtube when I was about 15 and I've loved them ever since. They have such a charming quality and the craftswoman in me hugely appreciates their knitted figures. I think it was the simplicity of them that I loved the most, which was why I felt a mixture of excitement and concern when I found out Clangers was being remade this year. Because of changes in technology, remakes of children's classics are never the same as you remember them, which usually means they're not as good as you remember them (I was horrified to find that new Postman Pat's mouth actually moved when he spoke!) However, I was put at ease when I learned that the new Clangers series would keep the knitted puppets and stop-motion animation- hooray! 

Even though I'm 20 years old and not exactly the BBC's target audience, I'm not ashamed to admit that I love this little knitted family. It won't come as a surprise, then, that when I found a knitting pattern on the Radio Times website, I headed straight to Hobbycraft for pink yarn and got to work on my very own Clanger. It was a really fun little project and I think it turned out well! I'm not sure what exactly I'm going to do with Tiny Clanger now, but she's nice to have around. 






  Find the pattern HERE!







No comments:

Post a Comment