Monday 18 April 2016

Recipe: Avocado Brownies

Two of my favourite things? Baking and avocados.

You wouldn't think they'd go together would you, but according to Pinterest they do. A little while ago I had a go at making these avocado brownies and while they were pretty goooood, they were a little bit bitter for my liking. HOWEVER, if at first you don't succeed, try and try again, so yesterday I had another go, adapting the recipe to make it sweeter.



Let me just make something clear: "healthy" and "fudgy chocolate" should not go in the same sentence - bit of an oxymoron. I'm not going to pretend these brownies are "healthy" because they are full of chocolate and sugar BUT there's no flour or butter, that's where the avocado comes in (and we all know how good avocados are - thanks instagram), so they're definitely healthier than they could be. You don't feel so guilty digging into one of these bad boys and they've been a hit so far, so without ado here is my recipe for "HEALTHIER THAN MOST AVOCADO BROWNIES".

Enjoy! xox


Ingredients

  • One large avocado (extra squishy = extra good)
  • Two eggs
  • Two tsp vanilla extract
  • Two tbsp warm water
  • 50 g bar dark chocolate
  • 50 g bar milk chocolate
  • 80 g cocoa powder
  • 100 g caster sugar
  • Half tsp bicarb of soda
  • Handful of milk chocolate chips
Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees fan.
2. Grease your tin. I used one of these individual traybake tins but any average sized brownie tin will be fine.
3. Mash up your avocado and mix in the eggs, vanilla and one tbsp water. It's best to whisk the eggs first with a fork and then combine with a wooden spoon. You could use a food mixer but I didn't bother. 
4. Melt both bars of chocolate and stir into the avocado mix until it's a chocolatey mess. 
5. Sift in the cocoa and add the sugar and soda. Mix until combined and add the remaining water if it seems too thick (it's not like a normal brownie mixture but it will turn out just fine!)
6. At this point I stirred the chocolate chips through to add a bit of sweetness. You don't need them but I think they make a difference. I'd like to try chopped nuts as well or maybe even white chocolate chips. 
7. Spoon the mixture into the pan and bake for around 20 minutes. Make sure they pass the skewer test once they're done in the oven, then leave to cool and ENJOY! 


No comments:

Post a Comment